It is about damn time the iPhone got an avocado emoji- between that and the stack of pancakes, all my emoji dreams have nearly come true. (Still waiting on an almond butter jar!) In honor of this joyous occasion, I’m sharing my Ultimate Guacamole recipe- the most delicious version you will ever taste in your life. Seriously- I used to think Nada had the best, then I actually changed my preference to Chipotle’s, and I’ve even been to Mexico to taste what they have to offer, yet I still find myself coming back to this recipe as my absolute favorite.Don’t let the “ultimate” title deceive you- this guacamole could not be easier to make! It’s just 6 pure ingredients, takes 10 minutes to throw together, and then you’re left with a fresh & flavorful dip. EVERY time I bring this to a party, I leave with a bowl that’s been licked clean. This recipe is fool-proof!
I used to make my guacamole with 6-8 Serrano peppers, but when I didn’t have any on hand one day, I subbed the only jalepeño I did have, and ended up liking it better. That’s also how I discovered the lemon and lime juice combo- my limes were super dry when I was making this, so I added in a bit of lemon to bring the citrus up, and it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I know, it seems weird that it would change the flavor that much, but just trust me on this one- go half and half.
On top of being delicious, the avocados that are the foundation of the guacamole are incredibly nutritious. Bananas are always touted for their potassium content, especially for athletes who need to replenish electrolytes, but per gram, avocados actually contain more potassium than bananas. Additionally, these creamy fruits are full of monounsaturated fats, the “good” fats that improve your heart health, reduce inflammation in the body, and help keep your hair, skin and nails strong and beautiful. Just a few more reasons to grab a chip and dig in!
Without further ado, here is the recipe you need to make this for your holiday party, weekend snacking, or if you’re really on top of things, plan to serve this at your Superbowl get together! I can’t wait to hear what you and your friends think of this guacamole- be sure to let me know in the comments below or by tagging me on Instagram.
6 ripe avocados
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro (leaves only), finely chopped
1 jalepeño, finely chopped
1/4 cup citrus juice (1/2 lemon & 1/2 lime)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1) Slice open and scoop out the flesh of each avocado, then transfer to a large mixing bowl or container (sometimes a flat-bottomed dish can make mashing easier).
2) Using a food processor, finely chop the onion, cilantro, and jalepeno. Add all the remaining ingredients to the avocado, then using a hand held masher or large fork, blend all the ingredients together until you reach a consistency you like. You could also pour everything in a food processor and blend it smooth, but I always prefer mine just a little chunky. Serve with chips, crackers, veggies, or on top of veggies or meat.
Storage tips to protect against browning:
- Keep 2-3 avocado pits nestled in the guacamole until ready to eat to help
- Press plastic wrap directly on the top of the guac to minimize the amount of air that touches its surface
- Squirt the surface with either lemon or lime juice
I always serve my guacamole in my ceramic Chip n’ Dip (handmade by Marsha Karagheusian) because it’s beautiful and I don’t have to worry about the bowl sliding around while transporting to and from a party!