Oh hey 2018, how ya doing? First blog post of the new year, and because I really slacked off on my blogging towards the end of 2017, one of my New Years Resolutions is to get back on a regular posting schedule for Health Tastes Good! We’re kicking things off the right way with these Vegan Meatball Sliders that are one of the best plant-based recipes I’ve created, always getting rave reviews from vegans and carnivores alike (the true test, right?).
One of my favorite parts about recipe creation is trying to “sneak” as much nutrition into my food as possible. Enter: MRM’s Sprouted Black Rice Superfood powder that I used as a binder in these vegan meatballs, in place of half of the flour I was planning to use. Black rice is loaded with seven different antioxidants called anthocyanins, making it the most nutritious variety of rice. MRM’s sprouted black rice powder is unique and superior to its whole food form because it is raw and sprouted. Sprouted grains are a more alive and bioactive food than their cooked version. This is because the sprouting process neutralizes nutrient inhibitors, such as phytic acid, thus allowing for more nutrients from the black rice, and any food it is consumed with, to be available for absorption.
With the Superbowl right around the corner, I can’t think of a more perfect football watching food! Not into sliders? Just stick a toothpick in each vegan meatball and serve with the pesto for dipping. Even if you’re not into plant-based eating, this recipe is an absolute must-try… you’re going to love them!
- Yield: 20-22
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Vegan Meatball Sliders
These Vegan Meatball Sliders are a guaranteed way to convert even the most stubborn meat-eaters into a believer of plant-based recipes! Boosted with extra micronutrients, and bursting with flavor from basil + sundried tomatoes, this recipe is a must-try!
- For the Meatballs:
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes - oil drained + saved
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice - barley works too!
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup MRM Sprouted Black Rice Powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Slider Buns
- For the Pesto:
- 4 oz package of fresh basil leaves (2-2 ½ cups)
- ½ cup walnuts (or nut of choice)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ T of fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2T nutritional yeast - optional
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions- can be done several days in advance, I typically make these meatballs when I already have leftover rice in the fridge!
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle with olive oil or cooking spray. Chop onion, slice mushrooms, and add to the heated pan. Sautee 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are soft and starting to turn golden. In the final minute of cooking, add garlic (crushed or minced) and sauté until fragrant.
- While the vegetables are cooking (or can be done a day or two in advance) add all the ingredients for the pesto to a food processor and blend until combined. Remove pesto, and set aside.
- After making the pesto, add sundried tomatoes to a food processor and pulse a few times to chop them. Add the rice, breadcrumbs, MRM black rice powder, and spices. When the vegetables are finished, transfer to the food processor.
- Pulse the mixture until its just starts to come together. Be careful not to completely “puree” it, as the texture makes this taste more similar to traditional meatballs. Use your hands to form the mix into 20-22 balls.
- Arrange the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes at 350F. OR, in the same skillet as before, heat more oil or cooking spray, and add the meatballs. Cook on all sides for 1-3 minutes, just until the outsides are crisp.
Assembly: Toast the buns, add arugula or lettuce, then the meatball, pesto, and I added an additional sundried tomato, too!